Sunday, November 2, 2008

E-mail=Carrier Pigeon?



According the recent articles posted by techies, Twitter will soon replace or possibly phase out e-mail.

The idea behind microblogging is that you summarize your thoughts in 140 characters or less -you're actually limited to the space available. Blogs with 250 word minimums need not apply. Ok, so i know what you are thinking-crap, another blog site that I can waste my time on and possible "connect" with other people. But an article by Robert Scoble says Twitter can do more. You win your clients over by gaging their interests and likes via their Twitter file, check their current status, and set meeting dates.
I have a few quams if you will with this, sorry Twitter

  1. When does knowing someone interests become stalker status? Personally, as I client I would not want by advisor calling or meeting with me for the first time and him asking how my Yankees are doing or how I enjoyed movie (fill in your favorite movie).
  2. "It's strangely addictive," says NBC videographer Jim Long. Ummmm, not good. So now we have a bunch of financial advisors and employees strangely addicited to Twiiter. So who the hell is doing actual office work?
  3. Maybe it's because I just don't like Twitter, but I just do see the benefits of using Twitte out-weighing the costs. I feel that employees or people may spend more time on the site, then getting actuall results. As Robert noted him, he posted that they are expecting a baby. He did recieve any posts or contacts from Huggies, Gerber Baby Food, or other infant related products. I guess Procter & Gamble didn't think the marketing costs for this research was not worth it.

Ok ok, let's switch it up, here's what I like
  1. This is a large network.
  2. Twitter is mobile. You can send an SMS message to the Twitter phone number to update your friends on your everyday whereabouts, and people who subscribe to you will get instant notifications wherever they are.
  3. Ask questions, get answers in real time: My favorite part about Twitter is the ability to get answers really quickly to any question you have. You can even track the conversation later using a tool such as Quotably.

So to all you businesses (I highly doubt you are reading this, but here goes anyway) when approaching Twitter, you need to do some market research to see if this product will actually put some money in the bank for you. Do your homework and go on with your e-hustle.




Photo Credit
http://silenceandvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/twitter-addicts.jpg

3 comments:

diggersf said...

I'd be pretty surprised if Twitter replaced e-mail entirely, but it's great at cutting down on those "check this out" e-mails with single links.

Anonymous said...

I like that you present both the pros and cons of Twitter, but I'm wondering what you think of Twitter's future. Twitter seems to me like a combination of functions that we already use through a number of other programs just rolled into one application. Can Twitter be successful only allowing 140 characters? Will enough businesses jump on the bandwagon to make Twitter profitable? Or is it too early to tell.

onyee4ejimuda said...

Twitter is really helpful for some people. It could be a time saver. As i said in my blog,it wouldn't work for me because i'm not interested in posting my everyday whereabouts and action.