Monday, October 27, 2008

Ima Hustla...Ask About Me

"Maybe you were blessed with the right group of friends. I wasn’t."

I feel like a lot of people can agree with the above statement. So what do they do from here? Well, mindofahuslter.com says that you need to pick the right crew. The majority of us do not have that rich kid as a room-mate in college, nor do we sit on great grandmother's trust fund. For these reasons we need to rely on ourselves to form a successful team.

But what are the characteristics of a good team?
Good teams are led by people who convey a clear vision of the team’s purpose, provide the team with the necessary resources to complete their jobs, and maintain the team’s overall character. There are thousands of questions about what makes a good team, but the true measure of great teams is the process by which they succeed. Obviously not all teams start on an equal playing field; most have ridiculous connections, some are mediocre, and some are just awful. So the way that your team gets to the finish line is important.

Another major characteristic is hustling aka grinding, making bank, and chasing paper. These are the terms that business professionals may not hear enough, but damn are they important. People who exhibit this characteristic are hard working individuals. They come in before everyone and leave after everyone. They find ways to get the client, get the project, and get the deal that delivers the cash. Simply put...these people work their asses off.

The question then becomes, who should be on your career team?

  • A mentor or two. A mentor is someone who has been there and done that; knows you well and agrees that your goals are realistic.
  • A career “entourage” comprised of friends and possibly close family. These people are your sounding board and feedback loop on ideas and career options.
  • Professional references that provide the bridge for job security
  • The hustlers
  • The runners-people who are the behind the scene workers.
  • Connectors-the individuals who make social networking a priority.
So now that you got the basics down, start forming your crew. Who knows-if you get the million dollar one, you can win a Nobel piece prize or you can successfully rob a bank. It's really your call.

4 comments:

Yooousif said...

This is true from my life long experience, Boris.

Where I come from, I learned that you are defined by your friends. Friends shape your personality and influence you.

As my father said: "A friend is who makes you cry instead of making you laugh".

My takeaway from the advice is that good friends equals good: influence, direction, advice and encouragement.

Thanks for posting

Yousif

http://itec335.blogspot.com/

Redgrape said...

Boris sweet post, I definitely lol'd. But all of it is true. I am starting a business myself, and my "crew" has become my siblings. But you made me think whether we need to add different roles to the crew, such as a mentor or people with different specialities... Or maybe we just have to get into different roles ourselves...

Nonetheless, nice post! Funny and true. We all got to make that paper.

Anonymous said...

Good post, I almost got busted during my last bank robbery, and now I know why.

What I really like about the different role players you discuss is that you can look at your circle of friends and see how many of them fit the mold. Leaders and mentors clearly emerge from every group and those loyal to them quickly become runners and hustlers. If you take the leadership roles and play your cards right, you can have a swarm of puppets all ready to serve you.

Anonymous said...

Very good post, Boris. Actually reminds me of the crew from HBO's "Entourage."

But that's the thing. While they generally get the job done, they really put their friendship first, which often can cloud their judgment and get in the way of making efficient and responsible business decisions.

I find this happens when I work in groups with people I'm close with. We have a lot of fun around each other and tend to focus more on being ourselves rather than on the task at hand. I've found that the best way for us to get work done is for every person to come up with ideas on their own and then come together to collaborate ideas.

Just my experience though.